Thursday, June 24, 2010

The Beauty of Rest

Psalms 127: 1
"It is useless for you to work so hard  
from early morning until late at night,
   anxiously working for food to eat;
      for God gives rest to his loved ones."




I love this promise.
As a senior in high school, I discovered this promise for the first time.
God wants us to work hard for Him, but he also gives us rest.
Rest is a precious gift from God.
I treasure it.

Last week, I spent all of the energy my body had been saving.
I worked a fundraiser for a non-profit in town.
At the end, I hit a very definite wall that I had not felt since high school.
The rest of the week, I lacked energy or motivation to do anything.
I was constantly irritable and moody.

Mold is my apartment did not help my lowered immunity.
My voice sounded like a young boy going through puberty the majority of the week.
Snot came out of my nose like an annoying leaking faucet.

I was drained of every ounce of energy, motivation, and joy.

But, then Friday, I drove home to Cape Girardeau, Missouri with my soon to be roommate, Mallory Roth.

There is nothing like a four hour car ride to get to know someone really well.
There is nothing like a four hour car ride with a new friend.
There is nothing like seeing beautiful rainbows on a four hour car ride.

It nourished my soul.

Picture from WeHeartIt

After I dropped her off in St. Gen, I drove to Cape
alone
with Sufjan Stevens on Mallory's ipod.
It was like I had jumped into a giant glass of mint tea for my spirit.
Through, Sufjan's soft, melodic voice, the gorgeous blue sky, and driving alone,

I found rest.
I found peace.
I found joy.

The rest of the weekend followed suit.
I enjoyed time with my family, my friends, and myself.
I lived spontaneously, even for just one weekend.

I can back to Springfield recharged and ready to tackle the week.

I hold firmly to God's beautiful promise that He will always grant His children rest.

GRACE

One of the songs I listened to on my drive...

2 comments:

  1. glad you're feeling better :) and that is a brilliant promise-genuine rest is hard to come by outside God

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait for Friday night. Rest is what I need. Even on my days off I'm working. Thanks for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete