Friday, December 24, 2010

A Christmas Poem

Today is bittersweet.

Christmas is but an hour away.
Family is gathered.
Presents are under the tree.
The Celebration has begun.

However,
Today is also the anniversary
of losing someone I loved,
my beau's grandmother.

One year to this day
my father gave a beautiful eulogy for her.
He used as acrostic 
(as he loves to do):
G.R.A.C.E.

This word truly captivates her
She was lovely,
sweet,
generous,
joyful,
faithful,
artistic,
and
gracious.

It snowed today
and I cannot help but think
she sent it to us as a Christmas present.
She is my angel on my Christmas tree this year.

This evening I read a poem she wrote
in 1999 about Gramp-
about how he loved his wife through Alzheimer's disease.
It was beautiful.

Her words fell off the paper with such 
grace
and
dignity.
My heart melted 
at her poem from a typewriter.

She extended grace to everyone
including me.
She truly made me feel apart of her family.

Her legacy will live on in my heart
and I will always think of her
on the eve of Christmas
as she watches from a better place.



No comments:

Post a Comment