Sunday, January 23, 2011

Deliver Me

I like to plan.
Actually, I obsessively plan every detail of my life.
I have a to-do list with easy things that I can
check off just to check off.

When my plans fail,
I quickly fashion an altenative.
I usually become attached to that alternative,
even if the orginal plan reopens.

Sometimes God likes to force me
to ask Him.

A couple of weeks ago this happened.

I made the pluge to study abroad in Ecuador,
and the trip was full.
I was devastated,
but I did not even let me mind fully comprehend it
because I was already fashioning the alternative.

The next day, a spot opened.

All of a sudden, I didn't know what to do.
Crazy, right?
If your plans get turned upside down twice,
they are right side up,
but it still makes you dizzy.

The night I broke down.
Listening to Bethany Dillon's sweet voice
I melted before the Lord.

I cried,
I prayed,
I knelt in front of my Christmas tree.

I finally decided that going to Ecuador was
in fact both my plan and God's plan.
Sometimes God wants us to reexamine a decision with Him.

My stomach is still in knots.
It is scary to live somewhere unknown for 4 weeks.
It will be an adventure,
but it will not be easy.

Making decisions can be messy.
Sometimes we need God to deliver us from our prideful plans.

-Beth

1 comment:

  1. Trust takes courage. Trusting God even when things don't seem to be going in the direction you thought they were supposed to take great courage. Trusting Him to plan your future and give you the next step when He knows you need it takes supernatural courage which only He can give. Keep seeking after Him and He will open the doors before you and give you all that you need for the paths you are to walk!!

    ReplyDelete